Earth Speaks VII Exhibition: April 19 – May 8, 2021
Opening Reception: Saturday, April 24, 2021
Art has always been a powerful tool for expressing ideas and feelings about issues of concern. The Earth Speaks VII is a regional open call for a juried exhibit in the Community Gallery, 701 Main Street, Suite 402, Stroudsburg, PA. The Earth Speaks is an artist’s means of capturing their concern regarding the climate crisis and how it affects our planet, as well as an opportunity to offer possible solutions.
Through art and creative expression, the exhibit will shine a light on:
- Man-made issues that pose a threat to our planet (litter, global warming, pesticides, GMOs, water pollution, overfishing, deforestation, fracking)
- Environmental disasters (tsunamis, hurricanes, oil spills, smog, nuclear meltdowns)
- Ideas for solutions (solar and wind energy, biofuels, reduced carbon footprint, recycling, tree planting, organic farming)
The Earth Speaks VII is a regional open call for work. Artists from the following states are invited to enter: ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, VA, MD, DE, DC. $1,000 in awards are available in a variety of mediums including 2-D, 3-D, Photography, and Printmaking. Students are encouraged to enter.
Jurors: Anita Erdős Forrester, Geography and Environmental Studies professor, Northampton Community College; Rachael Gorchov, Assistant Professor of Fine Art at Northampton Community College
- Deadline for Submission: EXTENDED TO Friday, March 12, 2021, by midnight
- Notification of Accepted Entries: on or around Friday, March 19, 2020
- Winning Entries Arrive at Gallery: on or before Friday, April 9, 2020
- Earth Speaks VII Exhibition: April 19—May 8, 2021; Mon-Sat 10am-4pm, Closed Sundays
- Exhibit Reception: Saturday, April 24, 2021
Schedule Update: “Restore Our Earth” Virtual Conference & Artists’ Reception
Tues., April 20: Via Zoom, roundtable discussion with winning artists, 6-7pm (Zoom link: April 20 Zoom)
Wed., April 21: Via Zoom, watch the film, “Fractured State,” followed by a panel discussion, recognizing the 50-year anniversary of Environmental Rights Amendment in PA, 6-7pm (Zoom link: April 21 Zoom)
Thu., April 22: Via Zoom, watch the film, “Dream On The Farm,” featuring the Farm Arts Collective, Damascus, PA. Followed by interview with director Tannis Kowalchuk and a discussion on sustainable farming, 6-7pm (Zoom link: April 22 Zoom)
Fri., April 23: Via Zoom, poetry and music open mic night, featuring the group “Earth Song,” who will perform their original song, “One Earth Song,” 6-7pm (Zoom link: April 23 Zoom)
Sat., April 24: Live on-site Artists’ Reception & Awards Presentation at the Dunning Art Gallery, NCC Monroe Campus, 1-3pm. Awards ceremony will be recorded and available to view on the PoconoArts YouTube Channel
How to Enter
- Download the entry form →
- Pay for the number of entries you will be submitting (below).
- Once your payment is complete, you will receive a receipt number via email. Enter your receipt number on the entry form.
- Email your completed entry form along with your .jpgs to gro.s1634573889traon1634573889ocop@1634573889ofni1634573889