Dear Pocono Arts Community,
Thanks to all of you, the Pocono Arts Council is in a sound organizational and financial position. I am proud of what we have accomplished together and proud that the council remains strong after 42 years.
As we approach the holiday season, I invite you to take a moment to reflect on the importance of the arts in your life. How have you been touched personally by an art form – visual, literary, music, or performing arts?
At PoconoArts we have tried to support all the artistic disciplines and weave them into the fabric of our lives AND our community. Looking back over the past 42 years, I think about the programs that would not have happened without PoconoArts:
- ARTSPACE Gallery – the oldest professional gallery in the region, featuring both professional and emerging artists in monthly exhibitions
- Public Galleries – showing work of local artists for 30+ years
- PA Partners in the Arts grants – over $1,900,000 awarded to local organizations and individuals since 1997
- Classes and workshops in all arts disciplines for students of all ages
- Special Exhibitions that give artists a voice on issues impacting our community, including The Earth Speaks and Art as Spirituality
- Student Opportunities – Student Exhibitions for 30+ years; Annual Scholarships for both music and visual arts; 30 years of Youth in Music Excellence Awards
- ArtPop Street Gallery – Giving visual artists a BIG VOICE with work on billboards throughout NE PA. PoconoArts is one of only 14 areas of the country to offer ArtPop billboard displays.
- Festivals – 31 years of the co-sponsorship of the Pocono State Craft Festival and 13 years for Festival of Wood at Grey Towers in Milford, PA
- Special Events – Spring for the Arts; Starving Artists Mac & Cheese Bake-Off; Party for the Arts; Yuletide at the Deer Head; Trout Trail & Tales; Art on Main…plus many more.
- Collaborations with organizations throughout the community – making the arts a vital component of the Pocono Mountain landscape
In 2018, the Pocono Arts Council will continue its mission of building our community – artistically and culturally – by continuing these important artistic offerings. New and exciting opportunities are being developed all the time for the benefit of both artists and the community. This is what makes PoconoArts the vibrant organization it is today. Your end-of-year support makes this possible!
If you are a Member or Sponsor, thank you for your support throughout the year. Please consider making an additional contribution during this holiday season. If you are not a current member, please consider joining, as well as making a tax-deductible year-end contribution. PoconoArts is only as strong as the community it serves.
On a personal note, it has been my extreme pleasure to serve as Executive Director of the Pocono Arts Council for the past 25+ years, and I want to thank all the current and past members of the council for their support. Thank you to all the volunteers, committee chairs and staff that made my job one of the best. Every day at PoconoArts was an adventure, with a challenge waiting around every corner.
Leaving is difficult, but I feel confident that the council will continue to serve the needs of the arts community for many years to come under the new leadership of Susan Randall. I know you will give her the same support you have always shown me, and with your help, the 2017-2018 year and the future of PoconoArts will be a success.
As we know, the arts touch all our lives at many levels. It is time for all of us to join together and move them forward. Culture Does Build Community!
Best wishes for the Holidays and a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Laura L. Goss